May 6, 2020
Is organic food better than conventionally grown food? Find out why supporting organic farming might just benefit both you and the planet.
- Why is it important to eat/buy organic?
- How do organic & sustainable farming practices benefit the environment?
- How does organic farming help human health?
- What's soil got to do with it?
- Can bacteria be good?
- Are all celery stalks equal?
- Does Starbucks sell Kumquats?
OTHER HELPFUL NOTES:
1. Can I wash OFF pesticides? Yes. Kind of. Thoroughly rinsing can help reduce pesticide residues. You can also soak in white vinegar or try this produce spray:
a. Biokleen Produce Wash: https://biokleenhome.com/produce-wash
2. There are farmers out there who may not be "certified organic" but who are still practicing sustainable and regenerative agriculture modes of farming, like the folks at Skinny Kitty Farms (https://www.skinnykittyfarms.com/about.html) Talk to your farmers about their farming techniques!
3. References about benefits of Organic:
a. Baranski , Srednicka-Tober D, Volakakis N, et al. Higher antioxidant concentrations and less cadmium and pesticide residues in organically-grown crops: A systematic literature review and meta-analyses. British J Nutr. 2014; DOI:10.1017/ S0007114514001366.
b. Das A, Patel DP, Kumar M, et al. Impact of seven years of organic farming on soil and produce quality and crop yields in eastern Himalayas, India. Agr Ecosyst Environ. 2017;236:142-153.
c. Dangour AD, Lock K, Hayter A, Aikenhead A, Allen E, Uauy R. Nutrition-related health effects of organic foods: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92:203-210.
d. Delate K, Cambardella C, Chase C, Johanns A, and Turnbull R. 2013. The Long-Term Agroecological Research (LTAR) experiment supports organic yields, soil quality, and economic performance in Iowa. Online. Crop Manag. 2013. DOI:10.1094/CM-2013- 0429-02-RS.
e. Forman J, Silverstein J, et al., Committee on Nutrition, Organic Foods: health and environmental advantages and disadvantages. Pediatrics. 2012;130:1406-1415
f. Gabriel D, Sait SM, Kunin WE, Benton TG, Steffan‐Dewenter I. Food production vs. biodiversity: comparing organic and conventional agriculture. J App Ecol. 2013;50:355-364.
g. Gomiero T, Pimentel D, Paoletti MG. Environmental impact of different agricultural management practices: Conventional vs. organic agriculture. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences. 2011;30:95-124.